Sunday, December 14, 2008

Family Trip

My sister, Rakel, called me a while back and invited us to go with them on a family trip. At first I said no, Barry Bretton has school and I just can't leave church stuff right now. After I hung up the phone, I got to talking with Barry and we decided that is just what our little family needed right now. We needed some great family time just to focus on each other. So I called her back the next morning and told her to count us in on the fun! They had been given a two bedroom villa right off of the Newport Coast Beach for a week and we stayed in with them. It was a blast. Barry and I only stayed for 5 days of the 7 days cause we had to get back but here is a recap of the trip.
Saturday we just bummed around the resort and rested (I didn't take any picture but that is okay cause I made up for it being picture crazy the rest of the trip :). Sunday we went to church. Vallie had a complete meltdown so we had to take her back home after sacrament meeting. Later that evening we went to the Newport Temple. I have never seen a temple like it. We just walked around the grounds and took lots of pictures of the kids.

Rakel took this picture of our family which I am using for our Christmas Cards this year cause it is the only picture I have of all of us. This was totally unplanned but we all coordinate in colors. What luck!

Monday we went to Disneyland and had tons of fun there!

Tuesday we went to the beach. This was my favorite day. We just ran around, dug, and explored the beach. There was no one there which was a breath of fresh air from Disneyland. The kids didn't want to leave.


This is a star fish we found. We also found a ton of mussels and other shelled creatures.

This lump is Brahm taking a snooze on the blanket. I wrapped him all up in my sling cause even though it was December it was warm and sunny. I didn't want him to sunburned. By the way, Brahm hated the sand. He would touch it with one finger and then shutter like he got chills all over. He wouldn't let me put him down on it.

Then Wednesday we went back to Disneyland. Are we tired yet?

Here are my little pirates.

Wednesday was so crazy a Disneyland. I have never seen it so busy in all my life. So I have to say I was ornery cause crowd of people just make me grumpy (something I need to work on). Barry Bretton's favorite rides in this order were 1) Matterhorn 2) Grand Rapids in California Adventure 3) Indiana Jones. Vallie liked the teacups, ladybugs (in California Adventure), and the Matterhorn. Vallie told me she told the monster in the Matterhorn "You don't scare me you big scary monster and just go away" in Vallie's little spunky attitude which just cracks me up. I don't know which ride Brahm liked the best but I do know he hated Nemo's Submarine ride. He was ticked the whole time in that little vessel.

Wednesday night we returned home. Thanks for the invite to the great trip Kel. Your the best, to bad Marcee couldn't make it. It really was just what we needed and we did it super frugal. We only spent about $300 all inclusive for everything. We bought groceries for all nine of us for the week and cooked most of the meals at home except for the days we went to Disneyland. Then we payed for gas and souvenirs. Tickets to Disneyland were free thanks to Disney Visa and we even had all little left over for food in the park, Cha Ching! So the trip was even better knowing it didn't break the bank.

5 comments:

Ruth said...

It sounds like you had a great time. I'm glad you were able to go. Taking a break from the stress of your calling is the best thing you can do to keep from getting burned out. You're awesome!

Sara said...

That sounds like so much fun:) Especially when you can do it for that price! I'm like you...I get very ornery with crowds...Christmas crowds are driving me nutty right now! I'm glad you guys had a fun vacation. You deserved it:)

Angie said...

Oh, I am so happy that you guys got to do this! How fun to get to have time with Rakel's family. The family picture turned out great and I bet that's a relief for you to have a picture for your cards now. I am just so glad that you guys got a break. I get grumpy with crowds too. I am going to have to email you more about your trip because we may be going to Newport in June. I have never been there. In fact I have only been to Disneyland twice - when I was 5 and when we went for Rebelettes. :)

Melissa said...

That's so awesome! What a fun trip. That's what our family needs to...but we're a little further from Disneyland! But the beach is what we dream of! That looked wonderful.

Annie said...

I like Vallie's spunk! Also, Aiden was like that with grass, he shuttered when I would put him on it. It lasted for a few months, but he grew out of it. I think your trip sounds wonderful! I am glad you got to go, you deserve it!

Merry Christmas!!

Annie