Sunday, February 27, 2011

A Work in Progress

I wish I could title this post FINISHED but for those of you who garden know yards are never finished. We have been making major headway though so I wanted to post some pictures. Our goal was to have everything ready for planting in time for spring planting. We were close. We did not have things ready for peas, lettuce and spinach to be in the ground and be productive before it gets too hot but we will be ready for most things. We have tomatoes, peppers, strawberries, and a few other things under grow lights and doing well. They and the garden will be ready for transplanting at the end of next month. I can't say we did it all ourselves. We did hire some things out this time around (in our last backyard we did everything ourselves and I have to say our yard was the only sad part I had about leaving that house) but we learned alot from that yard and knew exactly how we wanted things this time. You have to remember Vegas' yards are small so we have to use every square inch we have to be productive. Here is what things look like:


Along the north wall, we have two dwarf lemon and two dwarf lime trees planted so far. There is also one pomegranate in the back corner (you can't see it from my picture). In the front by the patio is a place for compost. We will be planting a row of strawberries in front of the citrus trees along the curbing (we have 50 plants to transplant) and in back of them we will put some grape vines to run the length of the wall on trellises we have yet to make.
Along the back wall we have 5 ft of gardening space that runs the length of the yard and down the south wall. We will be planting asparagus down the south wall among other things.
Between the grass area and gardening area we have planted thornless blackberry bushes to make a hedge to separate the two area. We have not yet finished trellises for those either.
Small spot for an herb garden right off the back patio.
We made three raised beds. Each one is 16ftx8ft with a rock pathway between them.
We laid sod and in the grass area there are two peach trees and one apricot tree starting to bloom out.

Here is a close up of the gate Rakel gave us that once the hedge fills in will be in entrance into the lawn area from the garden area.
Here is a close up of one of the beds which might look like nothing to you but we hauled out ALOT of terrible desert dirt and rock that nothing can grow in from all over the yard. In turn we hauled in 23 TONS of organic compost and top soil (can you see the blackness;) that is not desert dirt my friends). This is what was the most time consuming part. I have no idea how many wheelbarrows full of dirt that was but I can say it is alot of sore muscles worth.
We also had concrete poured around both sides of the house which both sides tie into the patio around back. There is a 1 foot border between the house and the sidewalk I will use to plant a plethora of flowers. I pray we have a productive garden this year and can't wait for next five or so years when we have everything planted, fruitful, and filled in!

10 comments:

Kathryn said...

Wow! Now that is what I call well planned garden plots! I'll have to get information from you because I had know idea that you could grow blackberries in this desert heat! Also, what do you do with your lemon and lime trees in the winter? Do you just plastic wrap them or do you have to do more to protect them from freezing? I would LOVE to have a lemon and lime tree so I'm interested to hear how yours do! You sound like an expert so I may be bugging you with information more than you would like... :)

Bart and Kellie said...

You guys have been so busy! It looks amazing! My parents have grown pomegranate trees, lemons and limes in their vegas yard forever, but I'd never head anyone attempt the black berries either! How exciting! I'm a few months behind you (it snowed today) but you make me feel motivated to take my first shot at a garden this year!

Sadie said...

I am so jealous! We still have tons of snow and below zero weather. :(
Your yard looks fab! Good luck.

Heidi said...

Tara, That is VERY impressive! It looks wonderful! Can't wait to see more pictures as things start to grow!

Ruth said...

You guys truly are the master gardeners! So amazing!

Anonymous said...

Can we hire you to do ours in about 5 years...LOL...that is seriously well laid out...It's beautiful!

Jason and Melissa said...

Looks great! Well done!

Angie said...

Tara, You never cease to amaze me. That all looks so good! We won't be planting anything for awhile as there is still snow on the ground. :) I so wish we lived closer so I could learn from you!!!

Danielle said...

Looks incredible! Wish I could be your neighbor! Good luck.

Emily @ RemarkableHome said...

Kristina Cox just started a gardening blog. http://gettingfreshgardening.blogspot.com
she has had alot of success with gardening here. we have grown alot of things too. It is amazing what you can grow here if you will just bring in some decent soil!